livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Vermicomposting

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Vermicomposting
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 17:14:39 -0500

Is anyone on the list doing vermicomposting on a larger scale than "worms eat my garbage" (Appelhof) style worm bins? If so, I'd love to know more about your setup and experiences.

My own approach to vermicomposting, at fair scale inside a 20x48-ft greenhouse, is described at
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Boxwood+Vermicomposting.html
The scale is important to me, since I harvest worms for feeding to my poultry flocks.

I've never tried setting up similar bins (i.e. earth-bermed) outside. Have any of you? How did you solve the challenges of: moles, other worm-eaters like possums and raccoons, curiosity seekers like dogs, waterlogging from heavy rains, freezing in the winter, too hot in the summer, digging into the root zone of trees (assuming you sited the bins in the shade of trees)? Have you made harvested composting worms a significant part of your poultry feeding program? (Or maybe feeding of pigs or farmed fish?)

Thanks if you have info to share.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Virginia