livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Michael Pollan Fixes Dinner

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: mdnagel@verizon.net
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Michael Pollan Fixes Dinner
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 16:08:08 -0600 (CST)

I got through most of it but finally gave up as it was doing way too many circles.

Pollan seems to be suffering from liberals' disease :-(  If we just take the existing and make it better then we'll be fine.

No effort to oust the lobbyists.

No discussion on why we have to have new liquid fuels (which would keep the existing dead-end structure in place).

No subsidies for ethanol folks (correct angle!), yet subsidies to farmers, only if they do things differently?  Yeah, and who do you think that will be able to best convince Congress on what that would be?

Lastly, I didn't like the fact that he acts differently- to his "readers" and then to "activists."  We need more people to be consistent, to hold true to their convictions, even if they are WRONG! - we've got too many weasel politicians as it is!  This doesn't mean that people can change their minds as better information (read "facts") come to the fore.

It's the people that will figure things out.  Quit giving the big groups OUR Money and let us get on with it!

Thank goodness diminishing energy reserves are drying up.  Not sure that it's soon enough to force us to come out of the trance that we've been in (heading right over the cliff).

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA