livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Michael Pollan Fixes Dinner

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Michael Pollan Fixes Dinner
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:13:13 -0700

Mitch, I wouldn't make much of this except I'm a market grower and passionate
about what works for small growers and our customers. Pollan says so much
good stuff I hate to take exception. To some extent I have to agree, you
don't make the perfect the enemy of the possible. Mark's post is accurate on
where Pollan stops short of dealing with the root of the problem IMHO. But
the part that caught my attention was

>the best things that Obama could do would be build 12-month farmers
>markets, especially in inner cities—that could be your legacy, those
>beautiful glass buildings you see in Barcelona or Reading Terminal Market
>in Philadelphia. This would be a wonderful way to make farmers markets a
>central part of these communities. It would drive economic development and
>local agriculture.

As a solution to drive the kind of produce selling and buying he promotes,
bad idea.

I don't expect Pollan to be familiar with the economics of farmers markets.
Indoor year round market facilities drive out the smaller growers, the
backbone of farmers markets over the country. The reason is in the financing.
When you look at the cost of these buildings and parking lots and the utility
bills for year round occupancy, somebody financing them (city or investors)
has to justify the expense with sufficient revenue from stall fees and/or
parking fees (unless the Feds can print money to waste billions on them).
That requires high margin products, value added likely, which simple produce
growers don't have. They have to keep them full of paying vendors every day
year round - which throws the doors open to crafts, big farm non-local
produce, and processed foods. Few small growers can afford the time to sell
every day and still work the farm. Not to mention how few can harvest and
sell in winter.

>From experience I've seen what happens to that kind of market management,
>and we will not sell at such mismanaged markets. They fail to attract enough
>customers. Why bother with the market when you can get the same stuff at
>flea markets or Whole Paycheck? It waters down the whole purpose of a
>farmers market and people pick up on that. You lose customers who are
>looking for a wide choice of fresh unprocessed produce.

An interesting example which appears to contradict me is the famous Santa Fe
market which we've visited a few times http://www.santafefarmersmarket.com/ .
But no. In fact, the winter market only uses the building on Saturdays -
hardly a year round market at all. Actually the indoor market planned revenue
payback by including office rentals in the new building, and it allows
outdoor seasonal vendors alongside the building. Both tactics help justify
the financing - which was considerable, $4.6 million. But the main thing is
the nonprofit Santa Fe Farmers Market Institute (page not updated since
construction) http://www.santafefarmersmarket.com/institute/ . No small
matter; it's the brains and money behind the market. But of course, it's
Santa Fe. Don't even think of trying that in Albuquerque.