livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Wood does belong in the soil?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Wood does belong in the soil?
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:10:14 -0800 (PST)

What the heck I'll chime in since its still a live topic. My guess would be huegelkultur would actually increase gas permittivity when its above ground since a similar volume of soil now has more surface area to react with atmospherically, additionally if the core of the huegel bed is made from woody stuff it probably creates air.gas spaces by inhibiting soil compaction in turn speeding decomposition.

The way Holzer explained his early attempts at it to me was  that he and his wife were chopping up brush in preparation for work being done on their property and got behind the bulldozer , so they started throwing whole tree trunks in a pile, then piled dirt on that and after they came back a couple years later dug up one of the beds and found the tree trunks were mostly decomposed. His climate is cold, soil is rocky and mineral rich, and rainfall pretty much what you'd expect at 1500 or so meters in an alpine region. Beyond that who knows, but he swears by huegel culture beds - particularly those made with woody cores.