livingontheland - [Livingontheland] What to do with 'sticks'

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Terry Wereb <frostedacres@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] What to do with 'sticks'
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:56:13 -0500

In reference to the biochar and wood chip mulching threads, I may have some sort of solution for those with stuff 'even the goats won't eat'--
 my brother's property is old farmland- an old cornfield, actually, that was permitted to naturalize right after being plowed and then soil sampled- the owner decided the amount of lime required was way to much. So, after 40 years, there are a LOT of ruts and deadrows still present with second growth, poplar family trees, that are dieing at a very fast rate..

I found that taking the small branches and twigs that fall after every strong wind, and laying them parrallel in the little valleys serves some purpose for me, at least--I get drier, more reliable footing during the sloppier times of the year, and the wood decomposes at a much faster rate. Water still flows  off the surface quickly, yet during dryer spells, it is also still slowed down to enable some percolation into the clay type soil that is present. This also gives me 'someplace' to put all the deadfall I pick up  without having to go very far. The wooded area on his property is, to say the least, a perfect example of WHY the occasional brushfire should be permitted to burn. His property( and neighboring properties) is a 'Forest Fire' just waiting to happen, and if it does, there are over 500 acres all around that could be totally  burned down very quickly. Think "California" ......

 Terry W
Frosted Acres

  • [Livingontheland] What to do with 'sticks', Terry Wereb, 11/24/2009