livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Wood does belong in the soil?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Wood does belong in the soil?
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 10:14:25 -0800 (PST)

>The most biologically active part of the soil profile is the
>rhizosphere, the zone immediately around roots. So I figured
>that, with slow-to-decompose stuff, getting more growing
>roots into the mix would increase decomposition rate.

Harvey,

I’m not a soil biologist and can’t give you the correct names for all those little critters, but I’m pretty sure that the microbes that colonize the roots in the rhizosphere to feed the plants are of a different type than the microbes that decompose dead plant material.  In some case the latter can even interfere with germination or the development of young roots.  This is also the reason why some people believe that decomposition ought to take place in a compost heap separately from the growing area.  In an natural environment, both occur in the same site, but the decomposing microbes are mainly in the top layer, while the microbes of the rhizosphere are mainly in the layer immediately below that.

Dieter