livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Knowledge; not college

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Diane Kann <dianek59@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Knowledge; not college
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 09:48:55 -0400

I agree with you.  I went to Cornell for Animal Science but really more of my knowledge comes from more experienced people and experience.  I strongly believe in the "learn by doing" philosophy that 4H used to embrace (and still does in some areas but fewer each year).  One of our sons is attending college (chemistry/biology major--hoping for an 8 yr degree to enter research) but the other 2 that have graduated our homeschool lifestyle have chosen to stay on the farm and continue learning while working (family apprenticeship, I suppose).  I'm hopeful that the remaining 6 children will also develop skills and continue learning, rather than just assuming the college route (unless their profession requires it, of course, as our one son has found).

--
Diane K
very THANKFUL homeschool Mom to 9 blessings in