livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Soluble Organic Sulfur Sources

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Soluble Organic Sulfur Sources
  • Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 10:42:08 -0700

Changing soil pH permanently is a difficult business. Pine needles take a
long time to break down and do any good. However, enough compost will
bufffer high or low pH somewhat and allow plants to grow which wouldn't do
well otherwise. In extreme cases it may be necessary to build new soil in
raised beds. This is what I do with great results. A lot of NM is alkaline.
One solution we saw at the NMSU organic farm at Alcalde was ingenious.
Their drip system to acid loving brambles has an injector that drips weak
vinegar at the roots instead of trying to acidify the whole plot.