livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Soluble Organic Sulfur Sources

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pumpkin Lady <pumpkingal@clearwire.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Soluble Organic Sulfur Sources
  • Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 12:25:15 -0600

Marty Kraft wrote:
I'm looking to lower the garden soil Ph and am working with organic no-till beds. If anyone has had any experience that might help, i'd like info. Also i would like a source of soluble sulfur or how to make sulfur soluble.

You can just sprinkle sulfur chips over the top of it in fall and let it work it's way in all winter. Or work it into the top inch or so, if you want.

I was bad, I tilled my beds the first time to get the sulfur in because I didn't get started the winter before. I mulched them promptly and they haven't been touched since except to plant things in and a little weeding. It needed to be tilled anyway. I couldn't have gotten a spade in it to put seedlings in otherwise. I'm working on turning a pasture into no-till beds, but as someone somewhere observed, most of the people who go to no-till are doing it on places that were previously tilled regularly. Mine wasn't.

I think there is a sulfur granule that they make, with some other kind of mineral in it. It might get in the soil faster and without disturbing it. You might look at lawn and garden stores to see if they have any idea about it.

Good luck,
Morgan