livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] More on jujube

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "bruce smith" <cityhomesteader@gmail.com>
  • To: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>, "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More on jujube
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:55:10 -0400

I've been following this thread and was hoping that this site might help someone choose the right plantings to keep deer out.

Plants For A Future - Database Search

http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 6:48 AM, E. E. Mitchamore Jr <emitch@att.net> wrote:
Here's the setting:  We established a new, fenced, growing area out in a field that the Whitetail frequent and moved in a few hundred trees of 20+ species in containers, including a Jujube about 6' tall.  Twice, in my fatigue, I forgot to close the gate, and both times the deer got in during the night and browsed.  They did minimal damage, except for the trees they liked best: Leucantha retusa and the Jujube.  They stripped the Jujube leaves completely as high as they could reach.  Another thing surprised me.  Typically, when a tree loses most of its leaves for any reason, it will put on new leaves.  The Jujube did not.  It did have a "topknot" of leaves remaining, so maybe that was enough to prevent the "releaf" signal.  Hope this helps.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz