livingontheland - [Livingontheland] More on jujube

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <boxwood@nelsoncable.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] More on jujube
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:11:59 -0400

Liz, I haven't been able to find all that much specifically on jujube in living fences application, just several ref's to the fact that it has been so used in China and other parts of Asia.

The friend who mentioned the fuel alcohol potential has supplied Hidden Spring Nursery in Tennessee with high-production varieties. I have some on order for the fall.

~Harvey
www.themodernhomestead.us

An interesting option for feedstock for fuel alcohol: jujube. I planted
>a couple of jujubes (as started trees already a couple of years old) a
>year or two ago, and one of them is loaded with fruit right now. The
>fruit is mild, lightly sweet, and pleasant. Easy to dry and thus
>preserve without energy intensive processing. But a friend tells me that
>he's been working with varieties that are so productive they offer an
>ideal alternative for distilling fuel alcohol.

Thanks for the rec on jujubes. I had been planning on buying a couple just for the berries, and didn't realize they would also make a good living fence. Now I may buy more than a couple of them. Hope you'll keep us updated on the fuel aspect.

Liz in SW VA