livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] More on jujube

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <boxwood@nelsoncable.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More on jujube
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 13:46:17 -0400

One interesting note about Jujube: FWIW - Central Texas' Whitetail Deer seem
to like Jujube better than just about any other tree. If you have deer
around, you might want to consider that aspect.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore

Thanks for that, Mitch. I was under the impression that jujube, since it is thorny, would deter browsing. Not so? Is it the case that they just browse the new growth, but not the older, more mature, thornier? Or do they graze the tree (the mature tree, not young ones not fully established) to the point of killing it? Please let me know what you know on this subject, since I have a lot of deer and two jujubes (planting more this fall) and have just written on this subject in an article on living fences.

I have not myself had any problems with deer hitting my jujubes, though they've been active in other areas of the homestead.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

I truly believe that as long as we have not found peace with the soil, we
won't find peace above the ground. That as long as we justify the
exploitation of any organism, other exploitations will follow and we will
remain parasites, consuming more than participating, and spiralling into
entropy until we commit mass suicide. ~Emilia Hazelip