livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] ONIONS!

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: pete <pete.rout@virgin.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] ONIONS!
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 16:56:09 +0100

Hi Paul
the reason you don't bend the necks over is that it damages the cells before they have cured. This can let in disease and the onions will not keep, which can be annoying if you buy in bulk for winter keep.
People in the UK buy red onions only occasionally, the white onion is the preferred for most cooking uses.
Pete

We're thinking onions today because we pulled the first few dozen to start curing in the shade for market soon. We disagree with some of the below experts; with red onions we do bend them over to speed up top drying before harvesting. Interesting, today Emeril said he can't understand why Americans don't prefer red onions all the time since they do in Europe. Well, we do focus on Old World varieties for several vegetables. And couldn't get better results in every way.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net
-

100's of DVD' and CD's on many topics. Sport, leisure, hobbies and many others. Horror, children and family films.
computer games and software, lingerie, beauty products.
www.yourhomeentertainment.co.uk