livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] ONIONS!

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Gail Hoskisson Loper <loghillgail@msn.com>
  • To: LOL <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] ONIONS!
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 08:02:18 -0600

On 7/19/08 7:34 PM, "Liz" <liz@allslash.org> wrote:

> Have you ever let some of your onions bolt, and then planted the seed
> the next year? I don't mind buying sets--in this part of the country,
> they're available year round in the supermarkets. But I don't want to
> be restricted to planting from someone else's work.

This is pretty much what I do.

I have a variety, originally planted from seed for green onions, that over
winters quite well even though we're at almost 8000 feet elevation.

I pull and use the onions when I need them but there are always a few clumps
here and there in the raised beds that are left to flower and self seed the
bed.

I've noticed the seeds don't all germinate at the same time so there are
little fresh onion shoots coming up in all but the coldest months of winter.

I've never had predictable or regular success growing bulb onions so have
learned to make do with the steady supply of these green onions.

Gail