livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Organic agriculture is not enough; we must replace annual with perennial crops.

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Organic agriculture is not enough; we must replace annual with perennial crops.
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:13:41 -0500

Re: feeding the world with permaculture:
Only some form of sustainable agriculture is permanent. That means that there is a level at which permanent yields can be obtained.
There is not enough of this to feed the current world.
Any amount of the world that WILL survive will have to be on what is left. Whether that is sustainable or not will be determined over time by our children. There is enough inertia in the present competitive system to outlast all of us.
A real world feeds itself.

Re: perennial grains:
If you widen the scope of what a grain is, then quackgrass seed is a perennial grain. Also, many of the wintering grains would probably have a mutation someday that could turn them into a perennial. Just keep your eyes on the ground and see what doesn't die off completely and let us all have some of the roots.

;-)

Dan C
Belgium

------------------------------

Message: 11
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:20:40 -0400
From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>

I'm really intrigued by this. I thought grains were grasses, which
propagate in the wild by reseeding themselves--annuals, in other
words. That would imply that there is no such thing, by definition,
as a perennial grain. Am I way off base on this?

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com

----