livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Organic agriculture is not enough; we must replace annual with perennial crops.

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Organic agriculture is not enough; we must replace annual with perennial crops.
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:43:49 -0600

Designer hand basket - that's a good one. I for one gave up on the world a
long time ago. My hope is to offer a little help to those who can use help.
And to do better than just survive. On the perennial crops in that piece, new
perennial grains aren't likely to make a lot of difference, IMHO. Perennial
fruits and nuts and berries could help but they always want monoculture
orchards with all the pests that delight in row upon row of the same thing,
which mean toxic pesticides and herbicides to most growers. That won't do.
Still, lots more people could have berry patches and pies and jams and all
that for winter months. I haven't done much berries before. We're still
experimenting with Juneberries. Now if we could do more with perennial
vegetables, that would be nice, but there aren't many of those. Asparagus
beds take a couple years to really produce, harvesting is labor intensive,
and the season is short. On the plus side, they're ideal for no-till mulched
permanent beds, and we finally started a solitary bed this year. I'd like to
know more about perennial crops. And yeah, permaculture is a bust.