livingontheland - [Livingontheland] crystal ball? / As food costs soar, it's back to basics for meal planners

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] crystal ball? / As food costs soar, it's back to basics for meal planners
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 22:06:35 -0600

This gets tricky and I'm not sure. If as you say ingredients are the least
value, then here's another angle on it. Other inputs and materials are more
expensive and going up. All processing and transport takes energy. Grocery
items that take the most processing and shipping will take the biggest hit
and cost more. Maybe, maybe not.

Certainly Cola ingredients are dirt cheap, but the water used is a cost and
the corn syrup in it's going up, and distribution cost is going up with
diesel prices.

About Primary Products: Fresh produce are going to cost a lot more to store
and transport. So at some point, locally grown and sold fresh can become
cheaper by comparison - which could lead to fresh produce being grown and
sold almost everywhere. Meat and dairy do need some processing and storage,
and with those costs going up meat and dairy will be more expensive. IMHO
fresh, local produce could end up the cheapest diet, with the producers
making a secure living, respected once again.

Darn. Crystal ball needs new batteries.