livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Three Sisters

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "elderberryjam" <elderberryjam@zippytech.com>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Three Sisters
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 00:47:08 -0400

Corn, beans, squash. When planting this way, I have grown pole beans rather than bush beans. They grow up the corn stalks. The squash, I found, keep the deer out of the corn, and shade the weeds. I plant them all at the same time.

I don't think there are strict rules to gardening. Last year, I took someone's advice from either here or the homesteading forum, and planted the corn in small square plots, surrounded by squash. This year, I planted one big square of corn with squash, pumpkins and watermelon surrounding it.

Last year we tilled, planted and then mulched only after the seeds came up. This year we planted right into composted manure 6-12 inches deep, without much disturbing of the soil, and no mulch was needed. My corn is chest high, and the pumpkins are nearly waist high with a gazillion blooms. I planted my beans in another row, because I didn't feel like walking through the squash to get to them.

Gwen