livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Three Sisters

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Three Sisters
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:45:50 -0700 (PDT)

Many thanks to all who offered their advice on and off list.

This has given me plenty of ideas about how to grow the three sisters next year.  Funny, I was sure that bush beans had to be used and not pole beans.  Well, I obviously was wrong.  As to pumpkin and squash, I think in Europe we use the term pumpkin for both.  Anyway, I used different types, including Butternut which is one of our favorites.

My own version of the three sisters is coming along fine.  The beans are still growing even though they are shaded by the pumpkins (squash).  Will be harvesting again tomorrow.

Dieter