livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] soil tests

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] soil tests
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 22:47:57 -0600

You point out
>Simply dumping compost on the soil and hoping for the best might pay off
>in a decade or so, but for someone depending on production levels,
>starting out on a new place on a scale larger than a sandbox, there are
>tools that you should use, but only when you know what you are trying to
>accomplish in the end.

Agree. Our soil needs organic nutrients, tilth, and moisture retention. Or
everything in other words. To make productive soil fast I use a balanced mix
of aged manure, and alfalfa meal for N and minerals since the manure has lost
almost all its N, and small additions of greensand and bone meal for many
trace minerals. Other natural materials could be substituted such as kelp
meal, fish meal, rock dusts, etc. to go with the aged manure. IMHO the
minerals should be mixed in when the manure is decomposing with humic acids
to act on the minerals. For me this is a cardinal rule I read somewhere but
made sense to me. And I have this decomposition process going on IN the
growing bed soil so nutrients aren't volatized or otherwise lost to the soil.
Anyway this worked well last year as our first season in this location. Not
full potential the first year, but very good production (and pest resistance)
considering this soil grew nothing before but stunted rabbit brush. This year
the beds are growing more lush and green than last year. That includes all
the squash varieties, the Nantes carrots, the garlic, and shallots. And of
course the tomatoes trying to push out the top of the greenhouse. YMMV.