livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] good crops for fall market?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: carrieshepard@yahoo.com, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] good crops for fall market?
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:37:52 -0600

Not sure where you are in zone 7, Carrie, tho you mention rain. I'd question
growing with only south light and then transplanting anything out in the
summer sun. Shadecloth should help with some things outdoors tho. These are
concerns I have right here.

We're about to start seeding in flats for fall but it's experimental. Golden
beets, Tuscan kale, brussels sprouts for starters. I still hate the idea of
transplanting out in the middle of the summer, zone 6 more or less. But we
can't sell what we don't grow, and Barb wants brussels sprouts for eating and
freezing. Also we plan to seed snow peas in front of the pole beans on the
fence, while the beans are still producing.

Root crops that hold well into fall can follow onion & garlic beds as they
empty in July. We need to do all the double cropping we can to make the best
use of good beds for market. We have to seed the next round of carrot beds in
a few more days. That's going to need special treatment for even moisture to
germinate. Probably a removable plywood cover on each bed till some sprouts
appear. Mulching carrots is iffy because they're planted and thinned so close
in intensive beds. I still don't have that worked out satisfactorily. If our
fingerling potatoes produce as hoped we'll replant the best ones in the same
beds for fall digging.

Just some things to think about. Can't help with certain vegetables I haven't
worked with, and as you see some of these are first time experiments here in
this NM climate.