livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Children Eat More Fruits And Vegetables If They Are Homegrown

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Children Eat More Fruits And Vegetables If They Are Homegrown
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:19:20 -0400

At 08:15 PM 6/24/2008, you wrote:

Children Eat More Fruits And Vegetables If They Are Homegrown
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070418163652.htm

ScienceDaily (Apr. 19, 2007) — If you are looking for a way to encourage your children eat their fruits and vegetables, search no further than your backyard, suggests new Saint Louis University research.

Preschool children in rural areas eat more fruits and vegetables when the produce is homegrown.

I can sure confirm that. There was no way my kids would touch something like zucchini with a ten foot pole until we grew it in the garden. When they saw the seeds go in the ground and the plants begin to grow, it wasn't just some funny looking thing in the grocery store, it was theirs. And after they saw the pretty flowers and then the enlarging fruit, they couldn't wait to see what it tasted like. The idea of creating their own food fascinates most children.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com