livingontheland - [Livingontheland] good crops for fall market?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Carrie Shepard <carrieshepard@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] good crops for fall market?
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 18:35:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Paul (and anyone else who knows),

what do you recommend growing for fall farmer's market sales for zone 7?

I'm getting ready to reassemble our large hoophouse (it housed the rabbits
during our move this past year, but I've got them into the barn now) and am
trying to make a plan to get something started in flats that I can then grow
out in the hoophouse for fall sales.

What crops can be started in this heat (I do have shadecloth, though no
electric or fans yet) or started in the basement (it's a walkout with good
southern sun, cooler though that outside temps for starting plants) and
transplanted?

I'm increasing my planting beds up nearer the house now that we've seen what
too much rain does to the initial garden site -- too wet, poor drainoff.
Grocery store produce prices and feedstore sticker shock make me really
worried about the poor in our country, gas is too high and meat prices are
too high for them and produce prices are too high.

May all of our gardens be bountiful,
Carrie