livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] good crops for fall market?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] good crops for fall market?
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:25:31 -0400

At 11:37 PM 6/24/2008, you wrote:

Mulching carrots is iffy because they're planted and thinned so close in intensive beds. I still don't have that worked out satisfactorily.

Paul, I've found that carrots don't really need to be mulched until they're pretty well thinned. Then I sift my oldest hay or straw over the bed, crumbling it up with my hands so the particles are very small. If it's almost completely composted, it breaks up to very small pieces that will sift down to the soil, especially after a good rain or watering.

I may also try growing carrots in holes punched in plastic. That won't be an intensive bed, but it will eliminate the need to mulch.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com