livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Ten Acres Enough

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: emitch@att.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Ten Acres Enough
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:20:16 -0600

You only asked about bed depth - but this is about what works in this
climate, somewhat similar to yours. Beds end up with soil about one foot
deep. I dig up the bed ground first then anywhere from 2x4 to 2x10 (cheapest
lumber or culls) frame is screwed together on top. Carrot beds a little
deeper, don't grow the long carrots intentionally. I amend the entire bed
once framed, not just around plants, so it doesn't need redigging next season
and on and on. The initial setup is work (and some expense for cheap lumber
etc.) but it's done only the first year.

The amending and mulching is just my own preference, YMMV. It's a mixed layer
of screened manure, alfalfa meal, with small amounts of greensand and bone
meal on top of freshly dug bed, then soaked with dilute fish emulsion, then
soaked in deeply with water. When dry, redig and mix it all well with the
dirt. Repeat if necessary, then mulch and keep soil from drying completely.
Some would use blood meal or kelp meal or rock dusts, or turn under a cover
crop to begin with. I'm not going to irrigate a cover crop on our little well
tho.

My amendment costs are very low since the manure component is free. The hay
mulch is free from feed stores that pile up loose, spoiled hay for horse
owners to haul off. Forget weed seeds. Decent hay isn't full of weeds, and
they cut and bale it before it goes to seed. And it doesn't blow off the beds
in high wind like straw does.

I simply reason that the aged manure has lost its nitrogen and the high N
fish emulsion kick starts the biological breakdown process. The alfalfa meal
(high N + minerals) decomposes over the season and the whole moist soil mix
starts working on the minerals in the greensand, bone meal and alfalfa. The
mulch and moisture is essential to keep the biological activity at a high
level. The organic matter ensures moisture retentive, loose draining soil
right away, nothing like the dry dirt it was. I get good production from
immediate planting in these beds, better the second season without redigging.
Next year it gets a thin layer of more or less the same mix on top, remulched
and soaked in.

Now this is for bone dry, uncultivated ground that grows nothing but rabbit
brush around here. Different conditions would call for variations. Still,
few places have good soil structure already with high (5% or better) organic
matter levels and the trace minerals from these amendments.

We heard so many market customers (and some of the market growers) say the
bugs, wind, heat, or drought got their squash or whatever. Of course. They
tilled, fertilized, watered, and weeded till they dropped, and got poor
production. Nothing is as frustrating as watering and weeding bare ground day
after day in this hot dry wind. We're running 90-95 this week, no rain for a
month now; before that it was Nov. not counting a little snow.

Small scale production like this can feed a lot of people even in a dry
climate. We should have thousands in NM growing and using free organic
wastes, but we don't. Is it sustainable? Well, we're not wasting thousands of
acre feet of aquifer water growing grain or hay for beef, and we're recycling
waste, and we're turning unused ground into healthy, food producing soil, and
selling locally. And with such low costs, it IS a profitable sideline. Even
with $4 gas to get to markets.