livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Ten Acres Enough

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Ten Acres Enough
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 23:33:39 -0600

5 acres or whatever, some of his principles apply to smaller and larger
parcels. Two Rodale Press books I have go into further detail on intensive
growing. We misunderstand Jeavons if we think he was creating a
one-size-fits-all model for the whole population. Ditto for Morris. For
example, I work to adapt methods from all writers I've run into. But I don't
double dig; I don't compost; I don't do cover crops; I don't use a tiller.
But I do build healthy soil, use permanent beds, and concentrate amendments,
water, and labor on growing beds instead of wasting it on aisles between. In
those beds I plant intensively, mulch, and double crop, and I hold costs way
down and get retail prices at growers markets. And we produce very large
amounts on one-sixth of an acre. All by hand. With similar methods a younger
couple could make a good living on one whole acre. And we're in a dry climate
with a short season. And we're far from the only ones.

The point of these books is, we can do far more in less space than we once
thought, if we don't dismiss the whole project as ridiculous and never try.
The day is coming when those of us who do it will get ridiculously high
prices for our work.