livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] how to control cucurbi/squash pests?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] how to control cucurbi/squash pests?
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 09:25:56 -0600

Extremes of pH can make some minerals unavailable to plants, as can excess
application of certain minerals. Compost is a good pH buffer. To avoid the
excess I use only naturally occurring additives such as aged manure, small
amounts of greensand and bonemeal, plus alfalfa meal and once a year fish
emulsion. The minerals are all there, but not as unchelated elements. They
get mixed together with soil, kept moist and mulched, and they compost and
recombine biologically in their natural element which is soil. That way it's
really hard to go wrong.

--Henry David Thoreau