livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Fig transplanting question

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Wayne <wa2yne@gmail.com>
  • To: carrieshepard@yahoo.com, "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Fig transplanting question
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 00:18:12 -0500

They may come back.
I have some figs myself, and one is a root cutting from another that I put in the ground. The one I put in the ground got confused with some of our odd weather last winter, and seems that the whole thing died.
Another tree wintered over in its pot okay, but seemed to die back after I put it in the ground. It is now coming up fine next to the original main stem.
If the roots are good, they will grow up from there.
Not a 100% guarantee though.
I had tried to get some stem cuttings to grow back in 98, never got any to take. But root cuttings with a new shoot started seem to be able to do fine.
Hope you don't have any gophers. I had one tree that I put in the ground, and took a root cutting from. the gophers killed it by eating the roots, but the cutting grew well when I put it in the pot that I had removed the original tree from.
Root cuttings seem to do well, where trying to root stem cuttings fails.
YMMV

Wayne WA2YNE
Imperial, Tejas