livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Tyson told to end antibiotic claim

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Tyson told to end antibiotic claim
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 07:34:49 -0400

When the bad guys start fighting with each other, it's always interesting what turns up . . .

Tyson Told to End an Antibiotic Claim

By STEPHANIE CLIFFORD

Published: April 23, 2008

A federal judge issued a preliminary injunction Tuesday ordering Tyson Foods to withdraw advertisements claiming its chickens are “raised without antibiotics that impact antibiotic resistance in humans.”

Tyson said it would appeal the decision.

The ruling was made by Judge Richard D. Bennett in the United States District Court in Baltimore.

Two competitors,
Sanderson Farms and Perdue Farms, had objected to the ads by Tyson and said Tyson had injected its eggs with antibiotics and used antibiotic molecules in its feed.

Sanderson Farms said it was not saying the use of the treatments “is bad, because we do that also, but we’re saying to use those products in your hatchery and your feed and to label that as raised without antibiotics is just not truthful,” said Lampkin Butts, president of Sanderson.

On Tuesday, Tyson maintained that its claim was truthful.

“The claim we’re making is ‘raised without.’ And our consumer research would say that ‘raised without’ in the consumer’s mind, is from hatchery to when they buy the chicken in the store,” said Dave Hogberg, senior vice president for consumer products at Tyson.

Consumer groups said that the question over antibiotics in the eggs was minor, but the ads were still misleading.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/business/23tyson.html?_r=2&ex=1366776000&en=c30cea555567a11f&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

  • [Livingontheland] Tyson told to end antibiotic claim, Liz, 06/03/2008