livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Vegetable Yields

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Vegetable Yields
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 22:48:46 -0600

This might help tho I haven't seen it myself.
http://www.rodaleinstitutestore.org/store/customer/product.php?cat=373&page=1&productid=825
Jeavons' How To Grow More Vegetables has minimum and maximum yields for
intensive beds
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&qi=DTx3tI6qX1Rd9eP3tSXhDJJRSks_3839001423_1:1:9&bq=author%3Djohn%2520jeavons%26title%3Dhow%2520to%2520grow%2520more%2520vegetables

However ... the information you're asking for is of limited use. If I grew
average yields I'd be out of the farmers market business. Average isn't worth
spit. From a practical standpoint, yield per plant varies too widely - with
factors like soil structure, moisture retentiveness, depth of topsoil,
temperatures, winds, length of growing season, organic matter content, rain
and irrigation. Yield per square foot for a given garden space is more useful
because other things being equal, biointensive can yield several times as
much as conventional tractor rows. It does for me with less than ideal
conditions.

Your own experience, Tony - and neighbors - can tell you more about yields
where you live and with the methods you use. Your location in the Berkshires
is wildly different from mine in the high desert southwest, so the concept of
average is useless for both of us.