livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Lofty Prices for Fertilizer Put Farmers in aSqueeze

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen@earthlink.net>, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Lofty Prices for Fertilizer Put Farmers in aSqueeze
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 13:56:40 -0600

But he IS a large industrial grower, Don. Being organic doesn't define large
or small; methods and scale define large or small. Row farming on that scale
with tractors and special machinery, paying labor and buying inputs is
industrial type farming. You say he's farming 170 acres, paying labor, buying
manure or compost, taking the middleman's price for some of his produce, and
having a hard time financially. Is he familiar with principles of cost
accounting? Of course he's having a hard time. So wouldn't you say it's time
for him to rethink his whole operation?

There are growers who can retail from two to four acres without paid labor,
with minimum machinery and without buying inputs, and still clear enough to
live on given good retail markets. But not if labor is eating you alive
harvesting salad greens. And 170 acres isn't nearly small enough; it's still
"get big or get out" mindset. I also suspect his wholesale and specialty
restaurant sales are costing him too much for what they bring in. Or he's
paying for land at inflated prices. Or he's forced to pay too much for labor
with the immigration problems. Labor is a cost we can't control or rely on
and survival may depend on being small enough to avoid paying labor. I envy
his year round climate. Based on what we can grow and sell from one-sixth of
an acre in a hard climate, and based on my age, I'd project we could make a
good living on one or two acres if I were thirty years younger.

This is not some theory I dreamed up. I've adapted methods from Jeavons and
from Rodale books like Hi-Yield Gardening and How To Get The Most From Your
Garden, and from Salatin's You Can Farm. Run them through the cost accounting
filter and see what methods turn out most efficient. Nor do I claim to know
everything; I'm having some germination problems right now. But you don't
have to know everything and have fifty years experience to find what works in
your own climate and market. Bottom line: organic and sustainable, fine. But
if it doesn't pass the cost accounting test, it won't sustain YOU.