livingontheland - [Livingontheland] flea beetles

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: l kelly <elkel@hotmail.com>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] flea beetles
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 19:40:12 +0000

I lose much to flea beetles as well.  I feel fairly confidant that I have observed some improvement with companion planting with feverfew (an aggressive self-seeder here in NW Arkansas).  I also use the foliage of the many volunteer feverfew plants to mulch, and although I've conducted no careful study, I feel confidant reporting some success.
For the beetles apparent favorite, eggplant, it seems the best remedy may be to wait until the beetle seasonn is ending before setting out the starts.  Or they can set out, but stay in their pots for easy hosedown and moving, as that seems to keep the beetles confused.  Flea beetles die back here by late June I think, and there's lots of growing season after that.  Doesn't help spring crops, of course.
Good luck.
Laura