livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Simplicity/community

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: anna Lorrai <cactusandquail@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Simplicity/community
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 12:01:23 -0700 (PDT)

I live on 4 acres with 12 acres of natural land behind me that I also own.   I have found it hard to find people interested in community or gardening for a better community. There was a very nice article  in our little paper about a couple who believed in permaculture and I was so excited. I immediately contacted them for a tour as mentioned in the article. It never materialized even though they said they would contact me.  Months later I tried again and got no answer.

I live in the desert and have steadily been building my food forest.  I've planted over 100 trees and last year I had quite a nice garden and even got to sell a few watermelons at the very  small farmers market here. I give eggs to neighbors and what I get back is advice on how to be more citified.  I personally think there needs to be a whole new education about living sustainably and in community on the land. People are only interested in getting another Walmart , golf course, or such.  I find it quite discouraging to always be stretching out my interests and find that people only want the system to pay them or make them more comfortable.  Dont' mean to complain.

I believe that the simple life can be gained by setting up a food forest. Look up 300 year old Food forest on Youtube and think about the life the family has who lives on this small property.  Their grocery store is outside their door. I'm aiming for that as I have the money to invest in trees and plants.  That's what living on the land means to me, working with it and having it provide for me. I would love community but it's been hard to come by.  Anna

  • [Livingontheland] Simplicity/community, anna Lorrai, 05/28/2008