livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] turning compost

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] turning compost
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 09:55:41 -0400

At 02:56 PM 5/24/2008, you wrote:
I just read an article that said to NOT turn your compost. You want it to
build up heat so as to kill all the pathogens. He's been composting
humanure, all kitchen waste (including meats and fats) for over 25 years and
has had no problems or diseases.

<Remainder of digest snipped>

I also compost in place in the beds themselves. We have multiple pest problems here (rabbits, groundhogs, raccoons, possums, and probably rats too) so I'm reluctant to put things on the ground that will attract any more of them. So I cover the food scraps with heavy layers of newspaper. I just lift the layers where I want to put the scraps, throw them underneath, and lay the paper back down. Once I get the deer fence up, it will cut down on anything that doesn't dig pretty aggressively, so I may not need to use the newspaper any more. I haven't found that the layers of newspaper are being disturbed to get at the food underneath, so they appear to be doing the job.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com