livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Garlic Question

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Garlic Question
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 22:01:00 -0600

I didn't even name the specific varieties. Tomato - Costoluto Genovese
http://www.ingegnoli.it/PDesc.asp?IDP=830 (see attachment), carrot- Scarlet
Nantes, beans - Romano pole bean, potato - fingerlings, squashes - Lakota,
Delicata, onion - Red Burgundy

On 5/24/2008 at 5:23 PM Gail Hoskisson Loper wrote:

>On 5/24/08 1:47 PM, "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net> wrote:
>
>> We try to work with the best tasting varieties of the most common
>vegetables,
>> tomatoes, onions, garlic, pole beans, carrots, potatoes, squashes, etc.
>
>Yum! Just reading the names of these vegetables made my mouth water.
>
>We still get freezing nights this late in the year so I'm only now putting
>out my cold tolerant vegetables.
>
>Yesterday, I planted the broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower & lettuce
>starts that have been growing happily in window boxes my husband built this
>spring.
>
>I was ill last summer and fall so my beds received no attention before they
>were covered with several feet of snow. A couple of days ago I noticed
>several clumps of garlic and shallots that weren't harvested had now
>sprouted. Instead of just digging them out and tossing them into the
>compost
>bins, I carefully separated the shoots and replanted them. Today some of
>the garlic is looking a little dry and yellowish now but the shallots all
>seem fine.
>
>I know most folks plant garlic bulbs in the fall so I'm wondering if I'm
>wasting garden space trying to grow garlic and shallots like this.
>
>Anyone have any idea if what I did will work?
>
>Gail

  • Re: [Livingontheland] Garlic Question, Tradingpost, 05/25/2008