livingontheland - [Livingontheland] compost/ was Livingontheland Digest, Vol 143, Issue 7

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] compost/ was Livingontheland Digest, Vol 143, Issue 7
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 22:27:28 -0600

Problem there being the fact that material on the outside of the heap isn't
going to heat up much at all, and secondly it's not going to kill all the
pathogens inside no matter how hot it gets. And if you've got a year to wait
then you don't need the compost in the first place. Further, with healthy
compost and soil there's no scientific reason to kill all the pathogens and
all the other microbial population necessary for healthy plant growth.
Healthy soil balances what it needs. Composting has its uses and I've used
some of the Rodale methods over the years, but now just compost in place in
the growing beds at normal outside temperatures. I balance greens and browns
by combining aged manure and smaller amounts of alfalfa meal and other
ingredients.