livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Garlic Question

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Gail Hoskisson Loper <loghillgail@msn.com>
  • To: LOL <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Garlic Question
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 17:23:08 -0600

On 5/24/08 1:47 PM, "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net> wrote:

> We try to work with the best tasting varieties of the most common
> vegetables,
> tomatoes, onions, garlic, pole beans, carrots, potatoes, squashes, etc.

Yum! Just reading the names of these vegetables made my mouth water.

We still get freezing nights this late in the year so I'm only now putting
out my cold tolerant vegetables.

Yesterday, I planted the broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower & lettuce
starts that have been growing happily in window boxes my husband built this
spring.

I was ill last summer and fall so my beds received no attention before they
were covered with several feet of snow. A couple of days ago I noticed
several clumps of garlic and shallots that weren't harvested had now
sprouted. Instead of just digging them out and tossing them into the compost
bins, I carefully separated the shoots and replanted them. Today some of
the garlic is looking a little dry and yellowish now but the shallots all
seem fine.

I know most folks plant garlic bulbs in the fall so I'm wondering if I'm
wasting garden space trying to grow garlic and shallots like this.

Anyone have any idea if what I did will work?

Gail