livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Back to the land/ Populations

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Back to the land/ Populations
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 13:43:34 -0600

You're connecting the dots, Dan. You're not supposed to do that you know.
Agrarian economies worldwide have indeed been ripped up by so called free
trade. Free for northern wealth to exploit third world land, that is.
Financial elites push in, set up plantations for export, and shove the locals
off the land and into city slums. Then of course in poverty they have more
children. It's been found that disruption of traditional village life results
in higher birth rates. I've seen this correlation before but very rarely.
Except the financiers don't pump money into those economies but invest in
their own holdings to extract food, minerals, etc. and make a killing. I
won't even mention the trail of the WB and IMF, trying to keep on topic here.
Books by David Korten and others document these connections. In a nutshell,
many manmade policies have worsened population problems by separating
billions of people from their traditional land, land that fed them for
millenia. To solve a problem you reverse the process that made it. Hmm?