livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Coming up roses? Not any more as UK gardeners turn to vegetables

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Coming up roses? Not any more as UK gardeners turn to vegetables
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:07:53 -0600

Jamie's not the only chef pushing fresh and local. The Manic Organic in
Canada is another, the "man out-standing in his field" ;-) Others in the
U.S. appear on food programs.

This is from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Waters

"Alice Louise Waters (born 28 April 1944 in Chatham, New Jersey), one of
the best-known and most influential American chefs since the 1970s, is
credited with single-handedly creating a culinary revolution in the United
States. She is the founder and co-owner of Chez Panisse, the original
"California Cuisine" restaurant in Berkeley, California, as well as the
informal Cafe Fanny in West Berkeley. A champion of locally-grown and fresh
ingredients, she has been credited with creating and developing California
Cuisine and has written or co-written several books on the subject,
including the influential Chez Panisse Cooking (written with then-chef Paul
Bertolli). She has also promoted organic and small farm products heavily in
her restaurants, in her books, and in her Edible Schoolyard program at the
King Middle School in Berkeley. Her ideas for "edible education" have been
introduced into the entire Berkeley school system, and with the current
crisis in childhood obesity, have attracted the attention of the national
media.

"Waters advocates eating locally produced foods that are in season, because
she believes that the international shipment of mass-produced food is both
harmful to the environment and produces an inferior product for the
consumer."