livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Surging costs of groceries hit home

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>, Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Surging costs of groceries hit home
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:56:55 -0400

At 01:34 PM 3/11/2008, you wrote:
Especially since we primarily talk no-till.  You gotta dig out all the roots every year.

OTOH, I have 10 gal. from 100 sq ft after the first year for that bed, and I don't know how I can store them.

I didn't dig out all the roots when I grew them before. Not sure I could have dug them all out the way those things grow unless I dug deep into every inch of the bed. That was in Florida where they basically grew year round, so I'm not sure what I'll find here, but my inclination certainly is to leave them where they are and let 'em grow!

I dried whatever we couldn't eat and then reconstituted them later with enough water to make a puree. Seemed to work fine. But my kids gobbled them up, and I seldom had much extra.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com