livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] vermicomposting in place

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] vermicomposting in place
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 11:32:47 -0800 (PST)

I haven't tried vermicomposting, but somebody, I think Harvey,
mentioned that worms for vermicomposting are not the same as
the ones in the garden.  In fact, worms used to the rich diet in
a vermicomposting facility probably won't make it on their own
in the wild.

As to the garden worms running away; I wouldn't worry about
that.  As long as they find good living conditions in you garden:
plenty of food (constant stream of organic matter being added),
constant soil coverage, enough humidity and little or no soil
disturbance, they will prosper and multiply, probably come from
the whole neighbourhood to congregate in your garden.

Dieter Brand
Portugal