livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] vermicomposting in place

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] vermicomposting in place
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 10:18:21 -0500

Dean,
There are lots of good reasons for vermiculture but seeding soil with worms
is not one of them. Usually worm bin and soil worms are a different kind of
worm unless you have very high organic matter like a muck soil and even then
the type you get in a bin wont persist in the soil. Once earthworms have
established at all in the soil the usual limiting factors on population are,
a food source and consistent moisture. Best to keep the 'red wrigglers' in
the worm bin or feed them to chickens and feed the 'real' earthworms in the
soil with lots of fibrous root systems. Areas of glaciation have low numbers
of worm species [ie the UK with < than 10 ], areas not glaciated much higher
[S.France with over 60] but the numbers of worms in your soil if you have
any are dependent on your management.

Does anyone know why worms appear to like the root area beneath Leeks and
Onions [Alliums]?
Dave
Mahaiwe Harvest CSA
Massachusetts