livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Nonsense

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Laurie Ann Powell <laurie@powellclan.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Nonsense
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 07:08:52 -0600

About the discussion on whether the body "knows" what it needs"...

I've found the balance is that I have "force" my body to try really
weird (but "real") food for a few days in a row. With some of them a
switch seems to turn on saying, "More of This Please"! I've found myself
craving some of the most disgusting stuff imaginable... once I used my
brain (as Paul said) to force it down my throat because of the
recommendation of Jordan Rubin or Sally Fallon and others.

As an example, "Natto", which is fermented beans, is the "We dare you to
try it" food in Japan, and I learned to eat joyfully. Smells like
garbage, tastes like stomach bile, but it is a phenomenally healing
food, and several family members craved it once they tried it. Fermented
bean paste, beet kvass, kimchee, turnip greens and kefir are other foods
you can not only overcome an aversion to, but find you don't want to
live without.

I've also found that as I've stopped serving packaged food, my kids have
been transformed to calling what is served at potlucks and buffets
"cardboard food". Will they eat it? Yes. But then they come home
saying, 'Mom, can we have some "real food". I'm still hungry!' I've also
discovered the truth of different body types -some of us thrive on more
protein, others on more grains, and by making the best of everything
available, each family member finds their own balance. And we haven't
been to the doctor in 4 years for illness (except for one asthma episode
during a travel period "off real food").

So, yeah, let's grow real food, and fight for the availability of real
food! And realize, it takes retraining to learn to eat it.

Laurie Ann