livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Forget oil, the new global crisis is food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Forget oil, the new global crisis is food
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:34:10 -0500

At 08:30 PM 1/10/2008, you wrote:

We're also in an unincorporated area - less red tape. I confess we're
looking for ways to network with more people who see the writing on the
wall, and mostly coming up empty. We attend local events with some
connection to gardening and such and try to strike up conversations, such
as the thing at the Gourd Society.

I've been doing the same kind of thing, and finding a range of reactions from total agreement to total denial. But I'm most concerned about two things--banding together in my immediate area to help each other, both in terms of sharing and for defense, and also just to check up on each other. After a bad cold snap, will we know for sure that all the families have come through it, etc. And to share not just goods, but knowledge and skills. There isn't much about working with fiber that I don't know, but I don't have much experience with animals, for example.

Most of the long established folk here do garden, though for many it's not much more than a couple of rows of tomatoes and beans, and I suspect most of the seeds are hybrids, helped along with generous amounts of synthetic fertilizer and chemical pest control. But the knowledge is there. And many of the Hispanic immigrant families keep chickens and grow tomatillos and peppers from seed they have saved. They may be the largest single group of people with self-sufficiency skills in the area, which may indeed be ironic when/if TSHTF and some of their most vocal enemies may have to learn from them.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com