livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Forget oil, the new global crisis is food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Forget oil, the new global crisis is food
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:31:05 -0700

In the '30s Depression you didn't have wandering hordes preying on those
who had food and other necessities. You had men riding the rails and
stopping at the back doors of marked houses asking for a sandwich - which
they often got. You had Hoovervilles where freshwater was there for the
taking, and government run camps in some places. In hard times people are
likely to work together and share. Read The Grapes of Wrath. We could learn
from those times. Now when disaster strikes or severe storm warnings go
out, supermarket shelves can be stripped in hours or minutes, and outside
help just doesn't show up when it's most needed.

On 1/10/2008 at 1:02 PM Phil Bunch wrote:

>> But witness the explosion of fast food, huge plasma
>TVs, McMansions and Hummers and monster RVs. It's going to be really hard
>to feel sorry for them.<
>
>IMHO it's not a matter of feeling sorry for folks who don't have a clue.
>It's the practical reality of dealing with them. These people may not go
>down without a fight and what are we prepared to do in that situation?
>Their
>fight will most likely be waged on political grounds initially. If the
>political route is not successful I think things could get ugly.
Personally