livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Forget oil, the new global crisis is food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Forget oil, the new global crisis is food
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 19:33:09 -0500

At 11:10 AM 1/10/2008, you wrote:

Throughout history it seems hard times fall hardest on the poorest and most
vulnerable. Few would believe it but Los Angeles already has 80,000
homeless. You mention increasing your land's productivity. For many of us
who have a little land, that's more realistic than trying to get more land.
It keeps our land costs down and concentrates inputs where they'll bring
the best return, and that's my own strategy at this point. We are going to
have to feed more than ourselves, and what's more do it at prices most
people can afford. That could be difficult.

This means we have to restore our neighborhood communities where possible, and not just in the inner cities. I live in a small unofficial community of people with 1/2 to about 50 acres across a small section of the VA/NC state line. As older people die and newcomers build homes in the vicinity, the sense of cohesiveness is growing fainter. I'm feeling more and more strongly that I need to talk to a couple of the natives, one of whom is the county agricultural agent, about how to help all of us cope with increasing food and oil prices, and how we can stick together if catastrophe strikes. The only thing I worry about is that nothing will come out of it but a lot of arguing, and the general knowledge that I'm prepared even if they aren't.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com