livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Survey (was no subject)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Survey (was no subject)
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:40:06 -0500

At 11:19 AM 1/12/2008, you wrote:

I am trying to develop a survey for the kids at the children's home where I am developing a garden/program. The kids will take it every so often. I see it as helping me and other staff understand what's going on with the kids in relation to the program. It is an attempt to "measure" the good effects of the program for ourselves and funders. As the kids take it they will at least consider being peaceful within, or the health effects of vegetables. I am so appreciative of how I feel when I am working in the garden or just being in nature that I am convinced of its healing effects.

The only comment I have is that the way the first three questions are worded might tempt a lot of kids to respond the way they think they are supposed to, rather than giving more honest replies. Creating a survey that draws useful answers is both a science and an art, and not one I know much about, but if I had been presented with this survey as a child, I would automatically have answered yes to all of the first three questions, because it's obvious that yes answers are the desirable ones. I think the last ones, where a range of responses is allowed, might do a better job of eliciting useful information.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com