livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Planning Beds

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Planning Beds
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 07:10:45 -0500

At 07:55 PM 12/30/2007, you wrote:
So how do you work out the planting spacing/density in beds particularly for
small plants like carrots etc? I've always planted in rows following
standard spacing. All this talk of planning has me thinking about our garden
at Piedras Blancas.

I know there are all kinds of guides for spacing, but my rule of thumb is that two plants of the same kind shouldn't be touching each other (or at least not all interwined in each other). I know about how big my tomato plants will be at maturity, so I plant the seeds or seedlings far apart enough that the final plants won't be all over each other. But in between, I plant other things like carrots and dill. For carrots, since we'll eat them at all sizes, I don't worry too much about spacing, just scatter the seed, and eat the baby ones that are growing too close to ones we want to get bigger.

This is a fairly haphazard way of doing things, but it has worked for me for a long time. If I were growing for market, I might be a little better organized (but then I'd have more time for it too, sigh).

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com