livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Spacing in Beds

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Spacing in Beds
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 19:04:44 -0700

Well, Phil, I've done an ungodly amount of searching and researching on
the subject but never come across this Colorado State U. .pdf on raised
beds.

These are critical points I've referred to again and again. Nice to see the
same recommendations, for the same reasons, from Colorado State U.

*Higher yields and less area to weed – The block style layout,
eliminating unnecessary walkways increases yields by five-fold over the
traditional row-path-row garden layout.

*Reduced soil compaction – Established walkways keep foot traffic off the
growing bed, reducing soil compaction.

*Soil improvement – The raised bed is a clearly defined area where the
gardener can concentrate on soil improvement techniques, that is the
addition of soil organic matter. In situations where the soil is poor
limiting plant growth, good planting soil may be added to the box.

And they mention mulching and drip.

They state a 24-foot long “traditional” row of carrots will fit into a
3 foot by 2-foot bed. I'd say more or less depending on variety and soil
condition. These smaller plants is where yield can be multiplied over row
planting for a given garden space. This is extremely important for high
production at lower cost. And that, friends, is the name of the game, the
key to more profitable market growing and more worthwhile backyard
gardening.

One thing they don't mention, permanent beds, raised or not, need less
water because you don't water the aisles between. It conserves water.

One other point. Unless I missed something they picture plants in squares
instead of triangular spacing. Triangular is completely equidistant from
each other and gets slightly more plants in the same space. I do this the
lazy way by marking off rows lengthwise and then staggering the holes for
each row. I don't obsess to the extent they do in square foot gardening.
Others recommend using chicken wire to space plants in triangles or
hexagons, or even a triangular piece of plywood.

This is a keeper.