livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Planning Beds

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Phil Bunch" <pbunch@cox.net>
  • To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Planning Beds
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:55:33 -0800

So how do you work out the planting spacing/density in beds particularly for
small plants like carrots etc? I've always planted in rows following
standard spacing. All this talk of planning has me thinking about our garden
at Piedras Blancas.

I think I'm going to start with two beds, each 1 meter (about 3 feet) by 10
meters (+/- 33 feet). One will be planted right off with vegetables. The
other will be prepared and planted with a green manure crop. I think I'll
try two cycles of green manure to get through to the fall rainy season.

I have one fairly flat area for one of the beds. The other area is on a
slope. Any reason why a bed cannot have a bit of a slope in it? I thinking
the long axis should be along the contours.

I'm thinking about potatoes, peas, fava beans, arracacha, lettuce, cabbage,
broccoli, radishes and some oriental greens. Any suggestions for
inter-planting? The arracacha is big and slow maturing so I think a couple
of crops of lettuce or fast growing greens may well do the trick there.

All the above mentioned do well in our constantly cool climate. We have 50
degree nights and about 70-72 degree days year around. I'm going to try a
few tomato plants but the cool nights are a challenge and they will be
experimental.